According to Buzzle, The following are some of the most interesting facts about the human body.
Read, discover more about your body and be amazed.
* Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails.
* Your eyes are always the same size from birth (but your nose and ears never stop growing).
* On any given day, sexual intercourse takes place 120 million times on earth. (Who exactly is counting this?)
* During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools. (That put me off swimming for a bit.)
* The brain is much more active at night than during the day.
* The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
* The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb.
* Sneezes regularly exceed 100 mph & nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
* The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.(I guess it’s true then size really does matter.)
* The largest internal organ is the small intestine.
* The brain itself cannot feel pain. Read more on interesting facts about nervous system.
* One human hair can support 3.5 ounces.
* It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
* The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger.
* Women’s hearts beat faster than men’s.
* One out of every 2,000 newborn infants has a tooth when they are born.
* Babies are always born with blue eyes.
* There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee.
* Your brain uses 20% of the oxygen that enters your bloodstream.
* The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades.
* Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body.
* Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair.
* You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone.
* The three things pregnant women dream most of during their first trimester are frogs, worms and potted plants.
* The human body is estimated to have 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
Read more on cardiovascular system facts.
* You get a new stomach lining every three to four days.
* Scientists have counted over 500 different liver functions.
Read more on human body systems.
* Your teeth start growing 6 months before you are born.
* The average person expels flatulence 14 times each day.
* You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive.
* Approximately 75% of human waste is made of water.
* Babies are, pound for pound, stronger than an ox.
* Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart. Read more on human heart facts.
* Feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
* Humans are the only animals to produce emotional tears.
* Even small noises cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate.
* After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.
* Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
* By the age of 60, most people will have lost about half their taste buds.
* The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
* Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
* Humans can make do longer without food than sleep.
* Scientists say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream.
* The surface area of a human lung is equal to a tennis court.
* Most men have erections every hour to hour and a half during sleep.
* Everyone has a unique smell, except for identical twins.
Read more on respiratory system facts.
* Over 90% of diseases are caused or complicated by stress.
* Your body has enough iron in it to make a nail 3 inches long.
* Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.
* 80% of the brain is water.
* Human lips have a reddish color because of the great concentration of tiny capillaries just below the skin.
* Blondes have more hair.
* A full bladder is roughly the size of a soft ball.
* Women blink twice as many times as men do.
* You’ve got more bones when you are born (300) than when you die (206).
Read more on skeletal system facts.
* The most common blood type in the world is Type O.
* Hair cannot be destroyed by cold, change of climate, water, or other natural forces and it is resistant to many kinds of acids and corrosive chemicals. Thus, making the hair virtually indestructible.
* It is not possible to tickle yourself.
* A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months.
* If saliva cannot dissolve something, you cannot taste it.